More Black Belt Stitching Wizard Stuff

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Kudos, Lakeshore Guild!

Well, I must give kudos to the Lakeshore Guild from Montreal’s West Island!  Today was road trip day!  My Mum and I piled into the car at 9AM today, swung by and picked up her friend and off we went to Stewart Hall in Point Claire, Quebec about two hours away.

Stewart Hall is a beautiful setting for a needlework show.  It’s a lovely, old, stone house on the St. Laurent River.  The gardens and landscaping were also beautiful, but it was too wet a day to go walking around the property to check them all out!  At the door we signed their guest book and I was surprised to find admission to their show is free!

The show had over 200 pieces!  Wow!  I think among their membership they have managed to cover almost every type of needlework there was!  There was pieces from cross stitch to quilts!  It was nice that they had explanations of what the different types of needlework that were being displayed, everything was so well marked.

There were a couple of demonstrators on hand and I was just blown away by the woman there doing Japanese Embroidery!  Now that is something I’d like to try but have found out is VERY expensive!  I love the sheen of the threads, the precision of the technique and the simplicity yet effectiveness of the Japanese designs.

At the show I got to meet Julia who I’ve corresponded with several times via e-mail, and Heather who has posted on my BB.  They were this year’s show coordinators.  Girls you did a great job!

My Mum, her friend and I really enjoyed your show!  It was worth the drive!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Dani
Glad to hear you had a wonderful day. Did you get lots of ideas for the show in Ottawa in the spring? I will be going to the show tomorrow and cannot wait after reading your post.
Cindy

Gina E. said...

Dani, the show sounded fantastic; I wish I could have been a fly on the wall! I know what you mean about Japanese embroidery - it is quite stunning. There is a Japanese Embroidery Group in the Embroid. Guild of Vic. that I belong to (the Guild I mean) and they conduct classes into Japanese work. I don't think I will ever get to take it up, for a number of reasons - but I do love to see what they achieve.

Anonymous said...

Dani, I made it to the show today and it was wonderful. There was so many wonderful pieces on display and Stewart Hall is beautiful. It was a perfect place to display the needlework.
Cindy

Erin said...

Sounds wonderful! Wish we had such shows around here....

I followed your link over on the board regarding the cost, too...wow!